Monday 5 April 2010

Autumnal Elixir

I have most definitely overdosed on chocolate this weekend - my bad skin and poor temper will attest to that. This gloriously cool and drizzly weather has prompted me to ignore my sweet tooth for just one minute and indulge my savory side - my stomach is calling for some healthy, soul soothing soup.

If you're in need of a belly full of goodness after a long weekend of indulgence I can highly recommend this autumnal elixir concocted by yours truly!

soup

The cast:
* 2 spanish onions sliced roughly
* As much garlic as you like - I used 3 big minced cloves
* 1 heaped teaspoon of harisa paste (or chopped fresh chilli if you don't have harisa)
* 1 heaped teaspoon of ground cumin
* 2 tins of peeled roma tomatos
* 1 tin of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
* Half a bunch of silverbeet, stems removed and the leaves chopped thinly

Added extras:
* Some cheese like feta to crumble on top (I only had cheddar in the fridge though.)
* Toasted sliced almonds or pine nuts on top also add crunch

Lightly caramalize the onions in your biggest pot with olive oil and a little salt to release the liquid. While the onions are simmering away I chop the silverbeet and rinse the beans off.
Once the onions are thoroughly cooked add the harisa paste, ground cumin and the minced garlic, stir and lightly fry for a minute or so. Then add the 2 tins of tomato, stirring to break down the whole tomato pieces and bring to a boil.
Once the tomato has been bubbling away for a few minutes and turned a rich red hue, throw in your cannellini beans and chopped spinach. Stir it well to combine - put the lid on the pot, turn the heat down and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
Taste test for seasoning - does it need more salt or pepper, cumin, chilli etc? Or a small teaspoon of brown sugar for sweetness perhaps? If not - it's time to grab a bowl and ladle up. YUM!

Hope everyone has had a relaxing and enjoyable Easter long weekend. I'm going to snuggle up on the couch and rest in the quiet before the madness that is life takes over once again - what about you?

3 comments:

small forest said...

YUMMMM!
Im gonna try this tomorrow night,(tonights dinner is already taken care of).

CHECKS AND SPOTS said...

all day, i've been craving soup...and then I dropped by and saw this delish recipe! am def going to have to give it a run.
x

Sara said...

Well ladies, I hope that it didn't disappoint?! xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails